Here's a quick and easy recipe that I've been asked for a few times, and instead of giving it just to those who've asked, I'm sharing it with everyone! (Good things should be shared, right?)
It's chock-full of healthy, seasonal fruits and veggies and tastes fresh and delicious!
And since I forgot to take pictures I'm including some factoids on some of the super-foods that are included in the recipe. Enjoy!
Moroccan spiced lemon dressing
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (about half a large lemon) and zest, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- ¼ teaspoon salt (if using water or unsalted chicken broth)
- Moroccan spiced lemon dressing
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 pear, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
- ¼ cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds), toasted
- Prepare quinoa. Bring stock to a boil (with salt) and add quinoa, stir to prevent lumps. Reduce heat to med-low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff quinoa with a fork and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, prepare dressing: whisk lemon juice, yogurt, honey, cumin, cinnamon and ginger in a small bowl until blended. Slowly whisk in oil so the dressing becomes smooth and emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the quinoa to a medium bowl and toss with ½ of the prepared dressing. Let cool.
- Just before serving, toss the spinach with the remaining dressing and top with quinoa, pear, tomatoes, onion, and pepitas. Toss to combine and serve.
- Make Ahead Tip: This recipe makes 2/3 cup dressing (Step 2). Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate the quinoa, salad and remaining dressing separately for up to 2 days.